Yes, I meant garlic ‘IDLI’ sticks and not garlic ‘bread’ sticks. So what is this recipe then? Well, it is something I tried which turned out to be too good that I wanted to share it with you all.
Most of us love pizza, especially the accompaniments that are available in all of the pizza joints. Don’t you like the garlic breadsticks that Dominos give? I love them. Even my grandma loves it. When I was young, we even used to get those cheese dips along with every garlic breadsticks that we order. But, nowadays they charge separately for that too! Anyways, there have been so many changes over the years, especially the taste. Don’t you all agree? Am happy that I was a 90s kid to have enjoyed all these right at the beginning!
So, I wanted to give you the recipe for garlic breadsticks. But, unfortunately I had no stock of yeast and because of this shutdown I wasn’t able to go outside also. And that is when I thought why not try it with some other ingredient. Why not idli? That was the question that came up immediately in my mind.
So, what kind of idli can be used? Any kind is fine as far as it is not freshly prepared. Because, fresh ones are very tender that they break easily. If uou are forced to use freshly prepared ones, then make sure that they are well cooled down before you proceed with the recipe.
If you love garlic breadsticks, then this is one for sure recipe to try during this lockdown. I have roasted the idlis before and while roasting try having one or two pieces because they the roasted idlis tasted yummmmyy!
I have served these idli sticks with a homemade cheese dip. Comment below if you want the recipe for that too! I will be happy to prepare it once more and just have the dip alone. “DELICIOUSNESS!” So, here comes the recipe for garlic idli sticks on day-12 of the No Veggies, 21-Day Lockdown Series! Enjoy these at home as an evening snack. Stay safe, stay healthy! Happy cooking and eating!
If you have tried any of my recipes, then tag @the_busy_apron and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #thebusyapron. Also tag @TheBusyApron and share it on Twitter with the hashtag #thebusyapron.
Garlic Idli Sticks
- 4-5 idlis,
- 2-3 tsp grated garlic
- 4 tsp melted butter
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- salt, as required
- less than a tsp oil
- Cut the idlis lengthwise as shown in the picture.
- Heat a tawa on medium flame and brush it with very little oil. Add the cut idlis and roast all the sides evenly until golden-brown in color.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, add the warm melted butter, garlic, oregano, red chili flakes and salt. Mix well.
- Add the roasted idlis to the garlic butter prepared and make sure that each idli is coated well with the butter.
- Now, transfer these idlis to the microwave safe dish and grill it in a pre-heated oven or heat up a tawa and transfer the idlis onto the hot tawa and again roast til evenly for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with a cheese dip.
- Leftover idlis are best preferred for the recipe. Though, if you are using fresh idlis, make sure you cool it down before using.
- Increase the amount of garlic if you want a strong garlic flavor.
- Alternatively, you can add garlic powder or paste also.
- Do not add too much oil while roasting the idlis initially as we are adding even butter in the later stage.
- Add the garlic and the seasoning to warm butter as the flavor infuses well when butter is warm.
- In my opinion, using a tawa for roasting the garlic-butter coated idlis is the best. Although, using an oven is also an option.
- If you are using an oven or a grill, pre-heta for 5 minutes and grill it for 5-7 minutes or as necessary.