I told you there is a recipe following my orange marmalade, right? Didn’t I? So, here is the follow up recipe – orange marmalade barbeque chicken. This is an easy recipe for a busy weeknight dinner or even lunch may be.
So, a few days back I posted a recipe for orange marmalade promising you all that there will definitely be a follow up recipe using the orange marmalade very soon. I had actually planned to post this recipe for Christmas. But, unfortunately due to lack of time, I had to postpone it to further days. So, here I am finally with the recipe for the same.
Disclaimer here: This orange marmalade barbeque chicken is very easy and so tasty that it will the most frequent recipe that will be prepare at your home, especially on busy nights! You just need to marinate the chicken and then grill them.
As I had already mentioned, this recipe is damn easy to prepare. It is so simple that it requires only a few ingredients. Two main ingredients are in the name itself – barbeque sauce and orange marmalade. Other than that we will be adding some black pepper and red chili flakes. That’s it! Simple, right?
Marinating, grilling and then munching! This is the process to be followed while making this orange marmalade barbeque chicken. Sometimes, taking the easy route is also better. Especially if it is going to give such yummy results, then you can opt in for this right!
I just love the combination of flavors in this orange marmalade barbeque chicken. The sweet, smoky and spicy flavor that the barbeque sauce paired up along with the sweetness and the tanginess with just a hint of bitterness from the orange marmalade is just out of the world. This dish has the perfect balance of all the flavors.
You can use a normal barbeque sauce – homemade or store bought. Or, you can even use a brand that is hot and spicy. The flavor profile should suit your taste buds. I added some chili flakes too, to give the dish that extra punch.
This is how I would like to describe my orange marmalade barbeque chicken – it is sweet when you take a bite. You will never feel the spiciness of it. But, as you chew it you will realize how hot it actually is. I mean, it is so perfect! Sweet, spicy, tangy and everything combined. Take a bite, you would know!
Also, you can use any of your favorite store bought orange marmalade for this recipe. But, if you are very particular in making it at home, then please refer to my orange marmalade recipe for a homemade version. Using homemade orange marmalade is also so good. It is so fresh and also full of flavor and most importantly, all you need to make it are just oranges.
I used the leftover marinade to brush the chicken with while grilling to make sure it does not dry in the process. I cooked the remaining marinade to a sauce consistency and served it along with the grilled chicken. This is just optional but, if you want to just dip your chicken while taking each bite in this flavorful and amazing sauce, then this is a good option. Also, it is a great way to finish the leftovers too, don’t you think?! :p
So, enjoy this orange marmalade barbeque chicken with your loved ones on a busy night. It is best served as is or you can even pair it up with a simple meal for a complete weeknight dinner! Stay safe; stay healthy! Happy cooking and eating!
While you are here, do checkout my dessert recipes. Oh, and yeah, its new year week! So, bake some cakes and celebrate the last week of this year!
Has meal planning been a little bit difficult during this lockdown? Look through my No Veggies, 21-Day Lockdown Series for ideas on what to cook during this lockdown.
If you have tried any of my recipes, then tag @the_busy_apron and share it on Instagram with the hashtag #thebusyapron. Also tag @TheBusyApron and share it on Twitter with the hashtag #thebusyapron.
Orange marmalade Barbeque Chicken
- ½ cup barbeque sauce
- ½ cup orange marmalade
- ¼ tsp black pepper powder
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- ¼ tsp salt, or as required
- 1 tsp parsley, optional
- 1 tsp butter/oil
- ⅛ tsp paprika, optional
- 500-600 grams chicken drumsticks (approx. 5 pieces)
- In a mixing bowl, add orange marmalade, barbeque chicken, black pepper powder, red chili flakes and salt and mix well.
- Add the chicken pieces to the bowl and mix well. Cover with cling wrap and let the chicken marinate for 2 hours up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- Pre-heat the grill on medium heat. Grill the chicken for about 15 minutes on each side. Brush with some leftover marinade and continue cooking for 20 minutes.
- In a pan, add some butter/oil and let it heat. Add the leftover marinade and then some paprika (if you are adding) and mix well. Remove from heat once the sauce thickens.
- Garnish chicken with some parsley and serve hot along with sauce.
- Adding red chili flakes is just for extra spiciness. This is completely optional.
- Marinate the chicken atleast for 2 hours before grilling. You can marinate it overnight too, if time permits.
- If the chicken dries out while grilling, then brush some leftover marinade and then continue the grilling process.
- The leftover marinade is cooked in a pan over medium heat to serve as a sauce on the side.
- While making the sauce to serve as the side, adding paprika is completely optional. Ignore if you do not want it spicy.
- Do not over cook the sauce. Remember that it thickens more as it cools down. So, remove from heat appropriately.
- You can garnish the chicken with fresh or dried parsley leaves.