Taking a break from the ongoing Lockdown Series, here comes an exclusive post for this navratri vrat- Aloo Halwa!
I never knew that halwa made with aloo existed until I came across this dish. And then when I told my grandma about such a dish, she was like, “oh! That is very easy to make. You just add this, this, this and this” and she went on and on with the procedure too. I was like, “why haven’t you even made it once for me?” I even got to know that when my mom got married, she used to make this halwa every now and then. I guess it was her personal favorite! Anyway, I uncovered many secrets behind this aloo halwa.
This is a very easy recipe to make. If you have guests coming over, then this is the perfect dish to make in no time. And it is also quite filling because of the potatoes. So, this is the right dish to suppress your sweet cravings as well as fill your tummies!
This dish is also prepared on the fasting days during the navratri festival and it can also be replaced with sweet potatoes instead of white potatoes. So, enjoy this dessert with your loved ones. Happy Navratri! Happy cooking and eating!
- 300 grams potatoes
- 1+5 tbsp ghee
- 8-10 cashews
- 8-10 dry grapes
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Wash the potatoes and boil them in a pressure cooker. When the potatoes are warm, remove the skin of the potatoes and transfer to a bowl.
- Mash the potatoes with your hand. Set aside
- Heat a kadai with 1 tbsp ghee.
- Add the cashews and fry them until golden brown.
- Add the dry grapes and fry them just for a few seconds.
- Transfer the cashews and the dry grapes to a clean plate. Set aside.
- In the same kadai add 4 tbsp ghee and let it heat.
- Add the mashed potatoes and cook until potatoes change in color.
- Add milk, sugar and cardamom powder. Cook until all the moisture is absorbed.
- Switch off the stove, add the fried cashews, dry grapes and 1 tbsp ghee. Mix well.
- Garnish with silvered pistachios, almonds and rose petals. Serve warm.
- The amount of sugar added can be altered as per taste.
- The amount of ghee added can also be altered as per liking. But adding ghee gives sweet dishes its richness. So do not compromise on it.
- You can add cashews without frying them too.
- Instead of garnishing, almonds and pistachios can be added while adding the cashews.