When life throws you lemon, why only make lemonades? Make this delicious eggless lemon tart instead! This will never let you down, anytime! So, this is the next on line in our Christmas series. If you are a lemon lover, then this is a must try!
So, if you have been following me on Instagram, then you would have seen my posting this lemon tart in my status a few weeks back. Since then I have been waiting for the right time to post the recipe. What better time than Christmas, right!
Christmas always means desserts – lots and lots! So, this eggless lemon tart is a die for recipe which adds a bit of tangy touch along with the sweetness. Sometimes, a bit of tartness in desserts is also delicious, right!
A classic lemon curd recipe uses egg yolks to give the consistency and texture for it. Here, since we are making an eggless version, we will be using cornstarch and agar-agar to replace egg yolks to provide the texture.
Cornstarch will help to thicken the lemon curd and also agar-agar is used to thicken the mixture while it is chilled. And for the color, usually egg yolks will give the beautiful yellow color to the curd. So, to make it eggless and also give that beautiful yellow color, we will use a bit of turmeric powder. You can also use yellow food color in place of turmeric.
Oh yeah! One more important thing is that we can also make it ‘VEGAN’. *CLAPS*. Already, in this lemon curd recipe we have used only plant based ingredients and also coconut cream to make it. If you are using gelatin, make sure it is vegetarian or plant based to make a vegan lemon curd. I do not know if we get plant based gelatins in the market. If so, then you can use it or a better option would be to use agar-agar only.
Also, the crusts! I have made a biscuit crumb crust here. You can make a normal tart crust or even use a pre-made, store bought tart crust. So again, while making this biscuit crumb crust, I have used melted butter. You can probably use coconut oil in place of butter to make it vegan. I have made a pie crust in one of my previous recipes (swirled pumpkin cheesecake bars); you can replace butter with coconut oil to make a vegan crust for this eggless lemon tart.
Biscuit crumb crust is an easy alternative and also an instant one! I have used digestive biscuits and some melted butter to make the crust and also baked it for some time before adding the lemon curd. This eggless lemon tart can be served as is or it can be topped with some whipped cream or icing sugar just before serving. You can top it with some fresh fruits (I did with some black grapes) or even berries of any kind!
So, enjoy this tangy eggless lemon tart with your family for this holiday season! Stay safe; stay healthy! Happy cooking and eating! Also, a very Happy Christmas to everyone!
Has meal planning been a little bit difficult during this lockdown? Look through my No Veggies, 21-Day Lockdown Series for ideas on what to cook during this lockdown.
Eggless Lemon Tart
For the cookie crumb crust
- 2 cups cookie crumbs
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 8 tbsp melted butter
For the eggless lemon curd
- ½ cup fine sugar
- 1½ tbsp corn starch
- zest of 1 lemon
- ¾ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp agar – agar flakes
To make the cookie crumb crust
- Add cookie crumb and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add melted butter and mix well with the cookie crumbs.
- Line a springform pan with parchment paper and press the cookie crumb mixture to the base and the sides of the pan. Pre-heat an oven at 180°C and bake the crust for 5-10 minutes. Let it cool completely before filling it.
To prepare the lemon curd
- Soak the agar-agar flakes in some water.
- In a sauce pan, add the sugar, corn starch, lemon zest and turmeric powder.
- Add lemon juice and coconut milk and mix until it is lump-free.
- Whisk until it boils and starts thickening.
- Add the soaked agar-agar flakes to the lemon curd. Whisk for a minute and remove from heat. Pour the lemon curd into the baked crust and set in the refrigerator to set.
- Top the tart with fresh fruits, whipped cream, icing sugar or anything of your choice. Slice and serve chilled.
- Depending on the cookie you use, add butter because some cookies tend to absorb it. So, add as necessary.
- Baking the crust for 5 minutes will give a more crispy crust.
- You can even replace the cookie crumb crust with a pie crust.
- If you are making a tart crust, then add coconut oil instead of butter to make it vegan.
- If you are using agar-agar powder, then add 1.5 tsp.
- Depending on the form of agar-agar, add as needed.
- While making the lemon curd, whisk continuously to avoid lumps and burning at the bottom of the pan.
- Before pouring the lemon curd, make sure the crust is cooled completely.
- Before decorating the tart, refrigerate it and make sure the curd is set.