Day-5 of the No veggies, 21-Day Lockdown Series begins with a Danish snack recipe- Æbleskiver meaning ‘apple slices’. They are made using an Æbleskiver’s pan commonly called as the kuzhi paniyaram or paniyaram pan in south India.
It is usually served as a dessert during Christmas time in Denmark but these delicious treats can be had around any time of the year. Different fillings like jam, apple pieces or chocolate chips can be added to the original Æbleskivers recipe. Traditionally apple slices are used as fillings but are no longer a common practice in Denmark.
The original recipe has been slightly modified by me for my convenience. The original recipe calls for eggs and butter. But, I’ve used neither of those. Instead of eggs, I’ve used ripe bananas. On the whole it is a healthy recipe because we have used whole wheat flour and not all purpose flour and if you are also very particular about not using white sugar then maybe you can replace with jaggery or palm sugar. I haven’t tried using either of these. I’ll try making this with jaggery or palm sugar and will post the recipe soon.
This is a great snack for kids and for adults too and it is super easy to make. Mix, pour, flip and enjoy! Do you see that? It is that easy! Mix the batter, pour into the cavity, flip to cook the other side and then enjoyyy hot! And kids usually like everything with the word ‘chocolate’ in it. Nah… strike that! Even adults like the word ‘chocolate’. I love chocolates. I mean who doesn’t?
Anyways don’t waste any more time. C’mon y’all, wear your aprons and let’s start cooking the ever delicious chocolate Æbleskiver! Stay safe, stay healthy! Happy cooking and eating!
Eggless chocolate Æbleskivers
- butter or oil for greasing
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 + 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup confectioners sugar / powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, add the bananas and mash it with a fork.
- To the mashed bananas, add the powdered sugar and mix well.
- Add the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup milk and mix well.
- Sift the whole wheat flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder to the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add the rest of the milk (3/4 cup) to the mixing bowl and mix everything well to a smooth batter consistency.
- Add the chocolate chips to the batter and fold it.
- Heat up the Aebleskivers pan and apply butter or oil in each cavity.
- Fill each cavity 3/4 with the batter. Cover the pan with the lid and let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Slowly flip over the pancake ball in each cavity and cook the other side for 4-5 minutes. Once cooked, remove from the pan.
- Dust powdered sugar over it and serve hot.
- Make sure there are no lumps in the batter.
- Increase or decrease the amount of sugar added as per your taste.
- Adding chocolate chips is optional. Alternatively you can add the as a filling while cooking the Æbleskiver.
- The dark brown spots that are seen are the melted chocolate chips. They taste amazing, don’t worry!