Chocolate, chocolate everywhere! Chocolate day is just gone by and why would we even restrict celebrating chocolate to one day alone, right? So, here is a very special recipe for the chocolate day – chocolate cake ice cream.
This chocolate cake ice cream recipe is an extraordinary combination of super moist, decadent chocolate cake and ice cream. We all love cake and ice cream separately but have you ever imagined what will happen if you combine both? Yep, you are right! This is just a blast of flavor!
So, this recipe again is for Instagram collaboration. I am very happy to share that I have been very active in all my social media handles, especially Instagram for the past few days and we have been gaining a lot of support too. So, to continue on that streak, this is my next collaboration post for the chocolate day.
I have been thinking about what to do for this chocolate day. I did not want to end up doing the same old milkshake, cake or just plain ice cream. And, that is when I remembered getting a red velvet cake shake from a place nearby. That made me think about doing a chocolate cake ice cream. You know, when you can don a milkshake then why not an ice cream?
But believe me when I say that this was the best decision I have ever made. Combining chocolate cake and ice cream is pure heaven. I would especially suggest you to follow my cake recipe exactly. That cake was super moist and decadent too. And the ice cream was just amazing at the end. The cake by itself was super delicious.
I have made an eggless version of the chocolate cake. You can even make it with eggs. But, I personally did not prefer the smell of eggs in my ice cream. I just wanted the flavor and the taste of the cream and chocolate to stand apart and nothing to interfere with that.
You can also use any store bought cake too. But, you know nothing beats this decadent chocolate cake. Also, it is homemade. Nothing can top that right? You can even try any of the pre made cake mixes for this chocolate cake ice cream. However, making it at home from scratch is the best option ever. You get to decide all the ingredients that go inside your cake batter.
If you are using heavy cream in your ice cream, then you need to add condensed milk for the sweetness. But, if you are using non dairy whipping cream, then there wouldn’t be a need to add any sweetness because it does contain sweet. But, condensed milk is that which gives ice cream the body and flavor. So, try to use atleast a minimum quantity of it.
What do you do if you do not like the idea of cake in your ice cream? I would first tell you to give it a try as you would surely fall in love with it in your first bite. But, you can also omit using the cake and use choco chips instead. Or you can even mix in some chocolate ganache and swirl it to give it a swirled ice cream look.
You can also cut the cake into pieces and serve it along with a scoop of ice cream on top, just you’re your brownie. According to me, chocolate is actually the best creation ever. So, however you have it, in whatever form it may be in, it will always bring out the best in the dish. So, you can have the ice cream the way you like it. But, I will always stand on my point that this is the best chocolate dish ever.
So, enjoy this delicious and the best chocolate cake ice cream with your loved ones on any special day. I hope you had an awesome chocolate day! Stay safe; stay healthy! Happy cooking and eating! Oh, no cooking right! But, definitely enjoy having each bite of the chocolate cake ice cream.
While you are here, do checkout my other dessert recipes! Try out my other ice cream recipes for a very indulgent summer dessert! If you are an Indian dessert lover, then do checkout my Indian sweet recipes too! Also, checkout my other cake recipes!
Has meal planning been a little bit difficult during this lockdown? Look through my No Veggies, 21-Day Lockdown Series for ideas on what to cook during this lockdown.
Chocolate cake ice cream
For the cake
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- a pinch of salt
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
For the chocolate cake ice cream
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup condensed milk
- 1 cup chocolate cake crumbs
To bake the cake
- In a large bowl, mix together the all purpose flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl beat both the sugars along with the vegetable oil until pale.
- Add the greek yogurt and beat until fully incorporated.
- Mix in vanilla extract.
- Add ⅓rd of the dry ingredients ,mixture and mix until just incorporated.
- Add half the buttermilk and mix well. Alternate between the dry ingredients and the buttermilk. (starting and ending with flour)
- Pre heat an oven at 180°C for 10 minutes. Grease a cake tin with butter and line it with parchment paper.
- Transfer all of the cake batter into the tin and tap against the counter to remove any air bubbles. bake for 35-45 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean. Let it cool down completely.
To prepare the ice cream
- In a bowl, beat the heavy cream in medium speed until soft peaks are formed.
- Add in the condensed milk and mix well.
- Now add the crumbled cake into the ice cream mixture and fold into the cream.
- Transfer into freezer safe bowls and freeze for 8 hours.
- Serve ice cream cold, garnished with choco chips or even marshmallows.
- Do not over mix the cake batter.
- Bake the cake for 35 minutes first. If it is still not baked through, then bake for an additional 5 or 10 minutes.
- If the cake starts to get burnt, then cover the cake with aluminium foil and bake again until it is cooked through.
- If you are dividing the cake into more than one pan, then reduce the baking time accordingly.
- Add condensed milk according to your sweet preference.
- Add the cake crumbles as much as you want. you can reduce it too.
- This ice cream does not require a machine to churn.